Tuesday, June 9, 2009

It's Not About the Bike

That's the title of Lance Armstrong's first book and autobiography. In it he chronicles his rise to fame as a winner of road biking's most prestigious race, the Tour de Fance. This after he had been diagnosed with cancer and had been given only a 40% chance of survival. He went on to win the race six more times consecutively.The point of the book is that his life including racing isn't really about a bike but it is about the experiences he has had that have shaped him into the person he is.

This Saturday I leave with a group of high school students, other leaders, and support staff (really nice people who help us with setting up camp and cooking us food!) to bike from Belmont to Mackinac in 5 days. Up until about six weeks ago I had no intention of ever riding a bike for more than five miles, much less over 250 miles! But I have been faithfully training...I have been loaned a very good bike, purchased some padded biking shorts, gloves, and a Camelbak water pouch (for us old guys that can't drink out of a bottle and drive at the same time), attended some group practice rides, and have been eating a little healthier ( I can't wait to drink a big diet coke at the end of the trip!). As we prepare to go, I have to be honest I still don't like biking....but the trip isn't about the bike.

I am going on the trip because I love teenagers. It will be fun getting to know some of our students and adults better. Our shared experience will provide an opportunity to strengthen our relationships. It will be great too to accomplish something that most people will never do...bike to Mackinac...and for many of us to do something we never thought we could do. We also will be doing a Bible study together and learning more about God and what He desires for our life. We will sharpen each other and encourage spiritual growth as we rub shoulders day-to-day...riding, camping, learning, and having fun together. And before we drive back by car, we will be rewarded with a day on Mackinaw Island (read fudge, funnel cakes, taffy, and huge diet coke!) just to hang out as a group.

I am so thankful for the people God has allowed me to know through this bike trip. I am sure their will be some hard times, disappointments, and struggles...but at least we will be in it together. I'll let you know how it goes...and not just the biking.

1 comment:

Alesha said...

wow! have a great trip. will be praying for safety for all.

Alesha
http://obtainingmercy.xanga.com