As I have been wrapping up the summer trips and programs and getting ready to kickoff the Fall programs, I have been reflecting on God’s amazing love for people…for students…for me!!!
I grew up in a home where I was loved and taught the teachings of Christianity. Very early in my life, I heard that God loved me and that Jesus died for me. In third grade, I publicly declared myself a Christian and was baptized. God was at work in my life, but I really did not understand what I was professing. It wasn’t until my Freshman year of high school that I really came to grips with my sin and how completely hopeless my life was without God. One night after a message at church, I was overwhelmed by what we call the gospel…God really did love me! I didn’t deserve it and I couldn’t earn it but God wanted me to know him and Jesus died to “open up the way” for my sins to be forgiven and for him to be the leader of my life.
That was 28 years ago and every day since I have needed to repeat that message to myself…without Christ I am nothing and can do nothing of any eternal significance.
I pray that you too have experienced God’s love through a saving relationship with Jesus Christ…there is nothing more important in life. That is one of the primary reasons we have a Student Ministry here at West Cannon. In Luke 19:10, we read that Jesus came to seek and to save what was lost. If you have been “found” then you know from experience that lost people matter to God and that he has given us the task of telling others this good news. Paul put it this way in 2 Corinthians 5: And God has given us the task of reconciling people to him. For God was in Christ, reconciling the world to himself, no longer counting people's sins against them. This is the wonderful message he has given us to tell others. We are Christ's ambassadors, and God is using us to speak to you. We urge you, as though Christ himself were here pleading with you, Be reconciled to God!
This year, my desire is that our worship of God together and our experience of love for one another and ministry to each other would be deeper and stronger as we grow in God’s love. But we must also be just as committed to sharing God’s love and reaching out to those who do not yet know Christ. And we must be passionate about telling them about the gospel in a natural and compelling way…because God’s love for people is out of this world!
Friday, September 5, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment